Today I present to you a dish that I really like!
Katsu curry called "Katsukare" comes from Japan, it is traditionally served with breaded pork, rice and curry sauce.
As you can guess, curry originated in India, it was imported by the British to Japan during the Meiji era.
Curry sauce (karē sōsu) is served over cooked rice to make curried rice. It is made by frying together the curry powder, flour and oil, along with other ingredients, to make roux (it is the mixture of flour and a fat to thicken sauces). It is traditionally added to cooked meat and vegetables, then simmered until thickened. The addition of potatoes to the curry sauce was introduced by William S. Clark of the Agricultural College in Sapporo, due to rice shortages at the time.
In Japanese homes, curry sauce is most often made from instant curry roux, available in both block and powder form, and contains curry powder, flour, oils, and various flavors. The ease of preparation, along with the wide variety and availability of instant curry mixes, has made curry rice very popular, as it is very easy to prepare compared to many other Japanese dishes.
Here we are going to do it ourselves and the tofu version of course!
The necessary ingredients of firm tofu, corn flour, vegetable milk, breadcrumbs, a red onion, carrots, garlic powder, curry, cumin, Indian spice blend, white flour, vegetable broth, coconut cream, salt, pepper, rice.
The necessary utensils are a kitchen scale, a measuring cup, a frying pan, tablespoons, teaspoon, a saucepan, a baking sheet, baking paper, a blender.
This Katsu tofu curry recipe is:
Perfect for a lunch
300g of firm Tofu
3 tbsp Corn flour
3 tbsp Vegetable milk (here soya)
1 red onion
1 tbsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of curry
1 tbsp of cumin
1 tbsp of Indian spice blend
1 tbsp of flour
300ml of vegetable broth
2 large tablespoons of coconut cream
Rice (as an accompaniment)
Preparation of tofu:
- Prepare several soup plates with corn flour in the first (the proposals above are an estimate, add more if necessary), a second the milk and a last with the breadcrumbs
- Cut the tofu into "sticks", dip your pieces of tofu in the flour, the milk then the breadcrumbs, taking care that the tofu is well covered then fry in a pan for 2 to 3 minutes on each side in oil vegetable (here olive, special cooking).
- On a baking sheet covered with baking paper, place the tofu sticks and bake at 180 ° C for about 15min.
Preparation of the curry sauce:
- In a frying pan, brown the onion (cut into small pieces beforehand) and the carrots (peeled and cut into coarse pieces) for about 7 min in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a saucepan, heat 300ml of water with vegetable broth.
- Add the garlic powder then the other spices (curry, cumin ..).
- Mix everything for a few seconds then add the tablespoon of flour, leave to heat for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the contents of the pan to the pan, mix everything together and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Then add the coconut cream, salt and pepper (quantity according to your tastes).
- Mix well then put the contents of the pan in a blender or blender.
- Mix until the content is homogeneous.
Serve with rice, for my part I took a mixture of brown rice, which I made before starting the preparation of the tofu because it takes longer to cook.
Enjoy your meal !