The end of year celebrations are fast approaching. We do not really know if we will be with family or friends because they do not necessarily live nearby and there is the important factor of the pandemic, still in circulation. (Here I set the mood, it's done haha)
Despite everything, I present to you my first holiday meal (yes because there will not be only one! The suspense is unbearable, I know!).
So to be honest, it's a small vegetable risotto with a mushroom cream (even if it is marked in the title and the surprise effect is absolutely not present).
The preparation of a risotto, for those who have already made it, know that it takes a little time, but when it is successful it is so good! This one is in white wine by the way, but you don't have to use it, it's of course optional.
It is a meal intended for three to four people with the correct portions. Double the doses if you are preparing this meal for four to six people.
Let's start with the necessary ingredients, be careful, the list is quite long, (we're not kidding anymore, it's a complete meal).
Special risotto rice, white onion, vegetable cube broths, white wine, mushrooms, margarine, olive oil, shallots, garlic powder, thyme, parsley , soy cream, cornstarch (or potato starch for the gluten-free version), lemon juice, chestnuts, a butternut squash, a red onion, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
For utensils, very basic as usual, pans, stove pans (if you have several it's good because for me it was dishes every time ...), a kitchen scale, tablespoons and teaspoon, a ladle.
More in detail:
500 g of mushrooms
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp of margarine
2 small shallots
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme
250 ml soy cream
200 ml vegetable broth
1 tbsp of cornstarch (or potato starch)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp of parsley
- Wash and cut the stems of the mushrooms (just the end) and cut the mushrooms into slices.
- In a stove pan, heat a tablespoon of margarine and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the shallots previously sliced into small pieces, brown for about five minutes over medium / low heat.
- Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook for five or six minutes, stirring a little, and incorporate the garlic powder and soy cream. Let heat over low heat, stirring occasionally for about seven or eight minutes.
- In a saucepan, boil 200ml of water, add the vegetable broth, let it dissolve well and add the tablespoon of starch (corn or potato) - mix well then add the contents of the saucepan to the stovepan.
- Heat everything over high heat until it boils, then lower the heat.
- Heat over low heat for about ten minutes until the cream thickens.
- Add the lemon juice then the parsley.
- Set aside in a container.
250 g of special risotto rice
1 white onion
10cl of white wine (optional)
2 vegetable broths
- Boil a liter of water with vegetable broth.
- In a saucepan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil, add the white onion previously sliced, brown for about three or four minutes.
- Add the rice, let it cook, stirring for two to three minutes, until it is slightly transparent in places.
- Add 10cl of white wine, once well absorbed by the rice, add a ladle of broth, then mix.
- Once the ladle of broth has been absorbed by the rice, add a ladle and so on until all the broth is used up.
Note: Mix from time to time when the broth is absorbed by the rice, to prevent it sticking too much to the pan.
- Side dish:
200 g of chestnuts
215 g of butternut squash
1 red onion
1 pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tsp of margarine
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme
-Heat for two minutes a red onion sliced in a teaspoon of margarine with two tablespoon of olive oil.
- Incorporate 215 g of butternut squash (this time I bought it pre-cut, but if you bought a whole one you have of course to peel it before cooking it) as well as 200 g of chestnuts for about 10min .
- Add a teaspoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of thyme, a pinch of cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Let everything return until the flesh of the squash is tender, and the chestnuts are tender.
You can then set up your plates as you wish; for my part I opt for a well of rice with the side dish in the center and I pour the cream of mushroom over it.
Enjoy your meal !